If you are considering a reversal of your vasectomy, you probably have many questions about the procedure. At Southwest Fertility Center for Men, we provide FREE consultations to discuss any questions or concerns you have about vasectomy reversal. Here are a few quick vasectomy reversal facts to get you started:
- Every year, 500,000 men undergo vasectomies.
- Of those men, about 5% later want a reversal of their vasectomy.
- Two types of vasectomy reversal exist: Vasovasostomy and vasoepididymostomy.
- Vasovasostomy is the less complicated procedure during which Dr. Kuang sutures together the cut ends of the vas deferens, allowing sperm to flow into the ejaculate.
- Vasoepididymostomy is more complex and occurs when there is a blockage (usually scar tissue) in the refi8nery where sperm mature. To bypass the blockage, Dr. Kuang connects one end of the vas deferens to a point in the epididymis.
- Dr. Kuang achieves a 97% success rate for both types of microsurgical vasectomy reversals.
Vasectomy is considered a permanent procedure, but life’s circumstances change. Many of our patients are in a new marriage, experienced the loss of a child or have simply decided they want to have more children after all. Whatever your circumstances, Dr. Kuang and our staff explain the vasectomy reversal procedure and help you determine whether it is your best option for pregnancy.
The Reversal of Vasectomy Procedure
During a vasectomy reversal, Dr. Kuang performs microsurgery to reconnect the vas deferens back into the plumbing for sperm. The vas deferens are the internal tubing that carries sperm from your testicles out of the penis. The surgery typically takes between 2 to 4 hours, depending on the complexity of the procedure. You will receive localized anesthesia under twilight anesthesia and undergo vasectomy reversal at our Albuquerque male fertility clinic, or receive general anesthesia and undergo vasectomy reversal in the hospital.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
Dr. Kuang is the only fellowship-trained male fertility specialist in Albuquerque, New Mexico. You will meet with Dr. Kuang during a free consultation at our vasectomy reversal clinic to learn more about vasectomy reversal and decide whether it is the best option for pregnancy in your case. Contact us to schedule your consultation.