At Southwest Fertility Center for Men, we want you to help you take the necessary steps to be able to successfully start a family as soon as possible after your vasectomy reversal procedure. Our Albuquerque vasectomy reversal clinic will provide general guidelines here for to help ensure the success of your procedure.
Post-Vasectomy Reversal Recovery Instructions
After your vasectomy reversal procedure is complete, we will instruct you to relax in order for you to recover as quickly as possible and minimize the risk of side effects or infection. Other post-operative vasectomy reversal recovery instructions include:
- Avoiding strenuous physical activities for a few days following surgery
- Avoiding sex for at least two weeks after surgery
- Avoiding swimming pools, hot tubs and Jacuzzis
- Applying an ice-pack to the scrotal area as needed
- Taking antibiotic medication
- Having a first semen analysis at 3 weeks either in the office or done at a local laboratory if you are from out-of-state.
Dr. Kuang will evaluate your lifestyle and needs during your initial consultation to give you a better idea about how long it will take until you can resume your normal activities. These recommendations are always specific to each patient and are meant to reduce the risk of side effects after the vasectomy reversal.
Possible Vasectomy Reversal Side Effects
Once we have completed your vasectomy reversal procedure, a little swelling and bruising around the scrotal area is normal and expected. Even though we will prescribe you something stronger, pain should also be manageable by taking over-the-counter pain relievers, like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. If you experience abnormal swelling or bruising, contact us immediately.