After Surgery Care
Post Vasectomy Reversal Recovery Information
The following instructions will help you know what to expect in the days following your vasectomy reversal. Do not hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns.
- A shower may be taken 2 days after your surgery. A tub bath is permitted after 7 days.
- Heavy lifting, sports activities & sexual intercourse are prohibited for 2 weeks.
To find out we were pregnant was amazing and exciting! We were not expecting it to happen this quickly. We were both jumping up and down! We found out with a home pregnancy test followed by a visit to the doctor…
- An antibiotic may be prescribed for you. Take it as directed.
- Pain medication will be prescribed and should be taken as needed. When you are up and about, you might experience more discomfort than immediately after surgery. This does not necessarily indicate a complication. If the medication does not control your pain or if you feel it is out of proportion to the surgery, please notify Dr. Kuang.
- The “mesh pants” or some other type of support shorts (“briefs”, not boxers) should be worn for the first 2 weeks following surgery, even when sleeping. It is not necessary to wear an athletic supporter unless you find it more comfortable.
- You can expect some swelling & “black and blue” discoloration of the scrotum and penis. This will gradually lessen after the first week but there will remain some firmness in the skin incisions & within the scrotum for weeks. If there is excessive swelling, contact Dr. Kuang’s office.
- Please place ice or a frozen bag of vegetables 30 minutes on and off for the first 24 hours.
Your Fertility Guide will call you to arrange a follow-up appointment that is 4 weeks after the reversal. Please abstain from ejaculation for 3-5 days prior to this appointment so that we can check for sperm at this visit.
To help your body heal the connections in a way that will give it the best chance of keeping the pipes open with minimal scarring, please take ibuprofen-like medications with meals. This should not be done if you have a medical condition or allergy that indicates that you should not do this. If you are not sure if this therapy is best for you, please contact Dr. Kuang or your primary care physician. Pick one of the following options to start the second day after your vasectomy reversal:
- Ibuprofen 600mg by mouth 3x/day with meals (no prescription required)
- Daypro 1200mg by mouth once a day with a meal (prescription required)
To help the testicle come back up to full production, please take the anti-oxidants vitamins (ex. Theralogix) starting 5-7 days after your vasectomy reversal. If you have any questions, please call us
If you are from out-of-state, you will probably see or speak with Dr. Kuang the day after surgery before you go home.
After your vasectomy reversal, it is important to strictly adhere to our post vasectomy reversal recovery instructions. Failure to comply with these instructions may negatively impact the success of your procedure, your overall health, and the ability for you and your partner to achieve pregnancy after your vasectomy reversal.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding post vasectomy reversal care, recovery time, pain, or results, please contact Southwest Fertility Center for Men. We are here to help you have the best experience possible throughout every stage of your journey to restore fertility.
Call Southwest Fertility Center for Men at (855) 487-2667 to discuss post-vasectomy reversal care with our experts.
syntax error, unexpected 'new' (T_NEW)